[Qgis-developer] python programmers community

Ian Packham i.packham at ucd.ie
Fri Oct 5 10:04:36 PDT 2012

Hi

I am not a QGIS user or a QGIS developer (of the C++ variety), I am also not (currently) developing a plugin for the QGIS repository, but I am developing a QGIS plugin in Python that will be used by other QGIS users. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like there is a niche between the QGIS User and QGIS Developer communities that could have its own community. I know there are good forums like  http://gis.stackexchange.com where Python programmers can get help and this qgis-developer list will often respond to specific questions also, but I am wondering if there is space for a QGIS Python Programmers community?

In my case, if the plugin is a success there could potentially be many new users to QGIS (at least in Ireland) and a version of the plugin could be added to the QGIS repository, possibly as part of the Hydrological Toolbox, so I think there would be a benefit to supporting such a community.

Unfortunately I am not at the Hackfest to promote the idea, but if this starts a discussion, please let me know.

Regards

Ian