[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:43:11 PDT 2012

Hi Martin,

2012/10/22 Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>:
> recently I have been brewing some backwards incompatible API changes
> that will 1) enable introduction of threading, 2) simplify API for
> developers. I would like to merge the changes soon to master branch in
> order not to drift too much from master.

Great news! Looking forward to see this in master

I think we anyway will make this changes, so better to made this now.
Some plugins already not worked in QGIS master because of raster API
changes and if I remember correctly we already make announce that qgis-dev
is not recommended for most users.

> In general this means with these changes we will split everything into
> two worlds: 'legacy' (QGIS 1.x release) and 'future' (QGIS 2.x). Until
> now you can run all (most) plugins for 1.x also on QGIS from master
> branch - but that will definitely change.
Well, there is a 1.8.0 and previous qgis-dev builds

> 1. plugin repository - is it ready for QGIS 2.0? Is it possible to
> keep a plugin in two branches of development: 1.x vs 2.x? Right now
> you can distinguish just between stable/development version, right?
> Maybe we should create another instance of the repository for plugins
> for 2.x to keep them clearly separated?
Why not mark plugins for 2.x as development?

> 3. it will no longer be a good idea to recommend users to use qgis-dev
> version because all the cool plugins they have downloaded will break
> apart. But that's the cost of incompatible changes, right?
Right, if we will continue with supporting backward compatibility we will
never see 2.0

So +1 from me and +1 from NextGIS
--
Alexander Bruy