[Qgis-developer] User profiles

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 23:59:49 PDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>> btw. Personally I'm quite intimidated by the amount of toolbars and
>> icons that QGIS shows by default (i.e. first run). I think if we could
>> cut that down to a one line of icons, that will be a good start.
> sure - the first natural candidates are all the "load
> vector|raster|etc." buttons, as the same functionality is in the
> browser: what do we miss if we remove them now?

Yes, the long row of "add layer" buttons is the most prominent
candidate. The idea is to merge all the buttons into one and offer
unified load layer dialog that would contain the browser tree +
provider specific options. Nathan has produced some mockups how this
could look like... Now we just need someone to implement that :-)

The browser tree dock widget is a good thing, but it cannot replace
the add layer dialog completely as it is missing some power when it
comes to provider-specific options - select ID of a postgis view,
select style of a WMS layer or open a CSV layer...

Martin