[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:21:46 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Would it be an option to branch a 1.9 from current master just before Martin
> merges the first breaking changes? That way, there would be a version with
> all the nice 1.9 features and very little API breaks (and 99% of the plugins
> working). Plus the shapefile encoding fix.
> I remember though that the 1.9 option was shortly discussed in Essen and the
> release team was not very pleased about it. I can't remember the exact
> reasons, maybe it is worth to reconsider?

Very bad idea IMO. That would result exactly in what we don't want:
having multiple broken versions with different (not) working features
available in each one. Again the same problem with breaking API twice,
not enough resources to concentrate on both 1.9 and 2.0 etc.

Radim