[Qgis-developer] Merging of incompatible changes

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Oct 25 00:46:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 10:39 +0300, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> 2012/10/25 Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>:
> > I don't know if somebody already brought up this (the discussion is
> > already rather long), but is there no possibility for including legacy
> > methods?
>
> And instead of API cleanup add new deprecated calls? I prefer to break
> API once and then live next 4-5 years with new shiny stable API.

That's what I mean. There would be nobody preventing you from using the
new API while the old one would not be broken. So the breakage would
still only happen once, after giving the dev's some time to port their
plugins and keep the user from the frustration that all their plugins
are suddenly broken.
What are the downsides? I'm more worried if it's really possible

> If we postpone Martin's changes to 3.0 number of plugins will grow
> and fixing all of them will require more time and manpower than now.
>
> IMO QGIS really needs threading support, rendering is slow even in
> compare with ancient ArcView 3.2

I agree on both points.