[Qgis-developer] Cloudflare for qgis.org sites

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 00:55:37 PDT 2012

2012/10/29 Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>:
> Hi,
>
> The recent downtime of qgis.org sites reminds me of several corporate
> websites I've worked with that, due to design requirements, needed to
> remain with older server software and code base. The older sites could
> not handle the bot traffic, and needed extra up-front security and a
> cdn system to remain viable as their traffic grew.
>
> I've been involved with Cloudflare.com shortly after its inception

Hi,

It sounds very very interesting but unfortunately they run closed
source proprietary software, even if is SAAS I would stay away from
that.

Does anything similar exists in the FOSS world?

BTW, yesterday I saw from "top" peaks of 6 to 12 load average,
probably caused by a combination of C++ code compilation, dpkg
packaging, a couple of bots indexing content and ruby/python web apps
running, probably too much for a VPS, but the website has been running
without major downtimes during the past 2 years.

Let's see if we can do some further caching/optimization and if the
renice of packaging has any effect. If the problem persists we must
obviously find a solution.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it