[Qgis-developer] What is the purpose of turning of 'on the fly' crs transformation?

Magnus Homann magnus at homann.se
Thu Sep 6 00:14:04 PDT 2012

Since 0.7 (?) we have included OTF transformation. In the beginning, the code
was a bit buggy :-), and I believe that was one of the main reason for
turning it off. Now, it's more stable. So, hwat is the reason for being able
to turn it off now?

1) Some use-cases handles 'raw' data where a CRS is not meaningful (or maybe
unknown even).
2) To skip the OTF code for stability.
3) To skip the OTF code for speed.

Measruement tools uses OTF code to be able to calculate on an ellipsoid.
Currently, when OTF is off, we don't allow that but usees planimetric
calculation only. Is this correct do you think?

Magnus