[Qgis-developer] 3-D visualisation in QGIS?

Marco Bernasocchi marco at bernawebdesign.ch
Mon Sep 10 08:52:35 PDT 2012

On 09/10/2012 10:23 PM, qgis-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> Hi John,
>   1.8.0 comes with a "Globe" plugin as standard which you can enable on the
> "manage plugins" menu. In my experience its extremely flaky (just enabling
> the plugin brings my entire computer to its knees, even though I haven't
> done anything!).
yes, unfortunately a [probable] memory leak somewhere fills up the ram.
I have no time at the moment to look at it, and I think Pirmin hasn't
either, but he told me some time ago that there was a student (or some
founding) interested in working on it. lets see. It is indeed a neat thing.
> There's a little more information http://www.sourcepole.ch/qgis-goes-3d
there is more here [0] and [1]
> Personally I've not yet found a good open-source 3d visualiser, though even
> the proprietary stuff has issues too. Its still a very nascent sub-niche.

Ciao
[0] http://www.opengis.ch/tag/qgis-globe/
[1] http://www.opengis.ch/msc-thesis/
--