[Qgis-developer] Nightly builds of master branch for Mac

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Sep 12 06:17:55 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi Noli
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> On 9/12/12, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>>> We have tested on some Linux versions and on Mac. *Feedback on the
>>> look and functionality, as well as any OS-specific issues, would be
>>> greatly appreciated.* It would be best to make sure these new changes
>>> work on (hopefully) every supported platform before using them more
>>> extensively.
>>
>> Any chance,  we (Mac OS X users) can download the unstable (QGIS
>> 1.9.x) version for Mac OS X?

See below

I believe this may be in the works for doing so @ github.com in the near future.

>> QGIS.org can probably open a sourceforge account just to hosting the
>> QGIS 1.9.x (unstable / testing) packages for Mac OS X, for example.
>>
>> William's site does not have QGIS unstable releases now.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Larry already is working on producing OSX QGIS nightlies....watch this space....

I've been fairly busy and totally forgot to post that I have this
already set up (running since August, 27th) [0].

Everything about the nightly is outlined here: http://qgis.dakotacarto.com/
 (dang, just noticed it's currently stuck at Sept. 9th, will fix ASAP)

It includes support for the QScintilla2 Python module already (not in
the INSTALL doc yet), so Salvatore Larosa's new Python Console should
work for builds uploaded after Sept 10. Of note, you can run the
builds directly from the decompressed DMG archive. The builds only
support Python 2.7, unlike William's installers, so Snow Leopard is
not supported. Runs fine on Lion, should work OK on Mt. Lion.

The build also runs 'make Experimental' and reports to QGIS's CDash
panel under the site name 'qgis.dakotacarto.com'. Obviously, it's not
currently a fault-tolerant setup, so some days there might not be any
update.  :^)  I currently do not have an available hardware server (or
time) to set up a Jenkins or other CI server.

@Tim, I opted to store the builds in one of my S3 buckets. Also, I did
not post direct download links to the nightly ZIP archive on the
qgis.org website, because that wiki page is editable by anyone with an
osgeo login. Is there a way to make the download page more secure
against unwanted tampering?

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Download#321-Nightly-Builds

Regards,

Larry Shaffer