[Qgis-developer] Nightly builds of master branch for Mac

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:05:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
gene <martin.laloux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks,
> What is really confounding is that my colleagues on Windows or Linux
> do not encounter this kind of problem.
> However, I know many people who work with QGIS on Mac ( Leopard, Snow
> Leopard and Lion) but I have the impression that we are not taken
> seriously by the QGIS developers and some plugins developers.

Hello Gene, all,

Let me also add my 2 cents.

Your impression that there is not primary attention on Mac users is
understandable. There actually are many Mac users of QGIS, but few are
power users or developers.
This can have many causes: among them, the difficulty to set up a
developing environment on Mac, and the rapidity of OS updates. Maybe
there is also the belief that users and developers are separate roles,
and that users are not encouraged to become developers (my opinion
based on discussions with some Mac users I know).

As others suggested already, it would be very helpful that more Mac
users give accurate feedback on the issues they encounter, and aim to
become power users.
I can assure that there is no selection at all from the present
developer team when accepting new devs according to the OS they use, or
deliberate less care on Mac-specific issues. It is mainly a consequence
of the proactiveness of Linux and Windows users, that become power users
and developers in larger numbers and proportions.

Remember also that closed source software does not always take care of
Mac users - shall I cite ESRI, that still has no native GIS packages for
Mac, despite all complaints (that is the only thing to do, as
it is impossible for a user to become a developer)?

That said, I hope more Mac users join the dev team and actively help
William and Larry!

All the best,

Anne
--