[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Using/visualizing 3D data (Z values)

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:47:14 PDT 2012

Hi all

reviving this old thread because I'm interested in using the z-value
(elevation) from kml files (type wkbMultiLineString25D) in a qgis plugin.

Are there any plans to introduce z-value (25D) support in 2.0?

Experimenting has shown that doing geom.exportToWkt() strips the z-value.

How can I currently handle z-values? I understand that I would have to
parse the wkb directly, is this possible in python? If so can someone give
me some pointers?

Other option - external python library like shapely? It seems shapely does
support z levels.

Or would it be simpler to parse the kml files by hand using an xml parser,
as syntax is relatively simple?

regards,
Etienne