[Qgis-developer] Road shield labels

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Sep 27 12:59:48 PDT 2012

Hi,

At the qgis-user list someone has asked on how to create road-shield labels.

I came across http://linfiniti.com/2011/08/shield-labels-for-qgis/

but in current master I can't find a way to define a background shape or
background color (rectangular and not buffer).

Did this never make it into master?

I think that we should offer a way to create road shields in QGIS.

Another option would be to user marker lines and allow SVG markers to
dynamically replace text in an SVG shield for more complex US-style road
shields ...

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Other blog posts on the topic:
http://underdark.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/interstate-shield-styles-in-qgis/
 - but without the dynamic SVG parameter style text replacement the road
nr is sort of hard-coded ...

Andreas