[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.0 Milestone: Feature freeze & updated release timetable

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 1 09:40:29 PDT 2013

On Apr 1, 2013, at 12:47 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Today I will also commit changes that move the home directory from
> ~/.qgis to ~/.qgis2 so that we can properly support deployments where
> 1.8 and 2.0 are used side by side. Also settings for QGIS 2.0 will be
> independently store from the QGIS 1.x settings (e.g. under unix like
> OS's they will now go into ~/.config/QuantumGIS/QGIS2.conf).

I wonder if the application name should also have "2" in it?  Otherwise, to get a side-by-side install of 1.8 and 2 you'd have to configure a different prefix.  Though I guess a different prefix would be best on linux to keep all the support files separate.  I could at least change the OS X app to "QGIS 2", since support files are by nature isolated for an app, then it could be placed in the standard /Applications folder alongside QGIS 1.8.  I don't know how an app is organized on Windows, if it needs a different install path or different app name.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan