[Qgis-developer] the feature freeze bug report

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Apr 3 11:17:55 PDT 2013

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Il 03/04/2013 15:44, Giovanni Manghi ha scritto:
>

> http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Switching_from_Old_to_New_Symbology_and_Labeling
> >
> > beside missing a real color randomizer there is a big issue with
> > labels not being saved in qgis styles
>
> Hi all.
> I thought we were talking about symbology only. Labelling has a number of
> issues, for
> me rendering slowness is a real blocker: on a slow machine it is
> practically
> unusable, and many of our users have low-end hardware.

I agree the PAL engine, and possibly QgsPalLabeling class need optimized. I
view this as a definite bug that should be addressed before 2.0 is
released, if old labeling is to go away for good. I welcome any help in
getting this done, but ask that anyone looking to jump in to help to please
wait until I commit the new label backgrounds and drop shadows, which
represents a significant amount of editing to qgspallabeling.cpp.

I am basically done with initial label backgrounds implementation and will
commit today or tomorrow. Drop shadows will be sometime before end of week.
After that I have some bugs to take care of for the QgsPalLayerSettings and
QgsPalLabeling classes, mostly missing data defined counterparts to current
features and others listed here [0] (some may not be on tracker, yet), but
can work around anyone helping with speed optimization.

I have successfully tried converting back to drawing text directly with
QPainter instead of QPainterPath and that worked OK, but the speed increase
was small, i.e. something still needs optimized in PAL lib.

Of note: the more features and drawing that is requested of the new
labeling engine, the slower it will become, regardless of optimum rendering
speeds. There will come a point where older hardware just can't cut it
anymore.

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/New_Labeling_changes_and_roadmap

Regards,

Larry