[Qgis-developer] Old symbology removed in master

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Apr 7 23:25:06 PDT 2013

 Hi Martin,

 Thank you for your work on removing the old symbology stuff.

 Marco is working on data-defined symbology and it is already in master.
 These are now all on the symbol level as you may want different
 rotations for each component of a combined symbol. Also the units are
 now more fine-grained. As an exaple you can define a size in map units
 and the outline in mm.

 I agree that the texture for fill style is obsolete as we have the line
 and point pattern editors and SVG patterns.

 Andreas

 On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 00:38:37 +0200, Martin Dobias wrote:
> Hi
>
> just a quick note that old symbology API has been removed:
> QgsRenderer
> (+ implementations), QgsSymbol and few others are gone. Projects
> using
> old symbology still can be loaded and old symbology will be
> automatically converted to new symbology (just in memory, so if you
> do
> not save the project it will continue using old symbology). There are
> few things that are currently not being converted properly to new
> symbology:
> - data-defined rotation / scale / symbol name - TODO
> - map units flag for point symbol - TODO
> - texture for fill style - no equivalent in new symbology (svg fill
> is
> better anyway)
> - continuous color renderer - no equivalent in new symbology
> (graduated symbol renderer may be used instead)
> - composer - legend items for old symbology are ignored and need to
> be
> recreated manually
>
> Old labeling has been kept as-is - there's not so much code involved
> (basically just one class, QgsLabel) so it's not such hot topic
> within
> the API cleanup.
>
> I am aware that few unit tests related to rendering got broken, I
> will
> fix them soon. (btw. there are few failing tests not related to the
> symbology changes: qgis_atlascompositiontest, qgis_composerhtmltest)
>
> How do others feel about dropping "V2" postfix from new symbology
> classes for QGIS 2.0? E.g. QgsSymbol instead of QgsSymbolV2. I would
> like to see those removed to keep the API clean.
>
> Regards
> Martin

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A