[Qgis-developer] Icon theme update

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Apr 16 09:26:32 PDT 2013

Hi

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:

8<------snip--------------

>> One consequence of eliminating the "classic" theme as an option is a lot
>> of otherwise good, general documentation (articles, blog posts,
>> stackexchange posts, books) will be crippled.

I think most users would figure out the difference, though I guess it
would be confusing for complete newbies. Since GIS 2.0 will ship with
the GIS theme activated by default (and it would show up on all
computers as default since QGIS 2.0 has a discrete settings archive)
having or not having the old theme won't make any difference to the
user's out of box experience. You would need to go back to old
materials and instruct the user to switch themes in the options dialog
before those materials  could make sense to them.

> * When developing or updating an icon for a 2.0+ feature, only one icon is
> made for the new theme, and then copied to the classic theme, i.e. minimal
> development time spent on the old theme.

There should be no need for this - if the new theme is the default any
other theme should fall back to it if an icon is not present (assuming
the original logic I wrote for that has not since been removed).

> * After 2.0 is released, remove the classic theme from master branch and
> only move forward with the new theme. This assumes that between 2.0 and 2.1
> many of the screen captures can be updated. Still not helpful for a book,
> however.
>
> Thoughts on those ideas?

Personally I think that just defers the problem.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services