[Qgis-developer] fTools and GdalTools: sextante vs original plugins

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Tue Apr 16 09:34:13 PDT 2013

Hi,

I know this thread has been silent for a while but I think it's important to
bring it up once more.
I'm currently trying to develop some materials and wondering if they should
cover ftools/GDAL or Sextante mainly. Currently, it sounds like it is
certain that Sextante will be around in future versions while the future of
ftools/GDAL tools is less certain.

I don't care much about ftools. I don't like having to create new Shapefiles
every time I run an algorithm. I never managed to remember which tool is in
which submenu.

In case of GDAL tools, I see the advantage of being able to copy the GDAL
code.

In Sextante, it's easy to find the tools by name and the results can be
temporal layers. So I strongly disagree with previous arguments that
Sextante is not valuable from a user perspective.

Even if we don't reach a consensus whether both menus and toolbox should be
around permanently, could someone please confirm what will be the situation
in 2.0? Are there any plans to remove anything for the release? Have any
decisions been made for after 2.0 yet?

Thanks and best wishes,
Anita