[Qgis-developer] Vector buffer commitChanges (was Interaction between QGis and ArcGis)

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 06:41:36 PDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Olivier Dalang
> <olivier.dalang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this a solution for http://hub.qgis.org/issues/7540 ?
>
> Probably.

Sorry, probably not.

The problem could be that not edited layer keeps something in memory
(shx - shapes index) and that is not updated (reloaded) when shx file
is updated by second (edited) layer. But that should not result in
crash.

Simple adding of startEditing/commitChanges to provider cannot solve
that. We need to update (reload) all layers using the same data source
(files) after commitChanges. In fact, some formats must not be read
while edited, so startEditing should disable all layers using the same
file. I think that GRASS plugin is doing that. It may also happen that
a file is modified by another application ...

Radim

> Radim
>
>> 2013/4/20 Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>

>>> QGIS opens layers (files) in update mode ("r+") if possible (file
>>> permission + OGR driver support). It may (but also may not) be a
>>> problem also for #6448 (slow shp over network) I am currently
>>> struggling with. In general, I think that it is bad to open files
>>> always in update mode even if in most cases they are not going to be
>>> edited.
>>>
>>> Currently there are no QgsVectorDataProvider::startEditing() and
>>> commitChanges() which may also be a problem for database providers
>>> because QgsVectorLayerEditBuffer::commitChanges() calls more provider
>>> methods changing
>>> data (deleteAttributes, addAttributes, deleteFeatures,
>>> addFeatures...).  The commitChanges() should do everything in one
>>> transaction IMO.
>>>
>>> My proposal is to:
>>> 1) Add QgsVectorDataProvider::startEditing() and
>>> QgsVectorDataProvider::commitChanges()
>>> 2) In OGR provider try to open layer in update mode only to get
>>> capabilities (get info if it can be modified when the provider is
>>> constructed) but then to reopen in read only mode.
>>> 3) Call QgsVectorDataProvider::startEditing() from
>>> QgsVectorLayer::startEditing() to be sure that the layer is still
>>> editable (permissions could change or it was opened by another
>>> application for editing since the layer was opened) and to reopen
>>> files in update mode (files based) or to start transaction (DB based).
>>> 4) Call QgsVectorDataProvider::commitChanges() from
>>> QgsVectorLayer::commitChanges()
>>> 4) In QgsOgrProvider::startEditing() reopen the layer in update mode