[Qgis-developer] 'File' versus 'Project'

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Apr 23 13:52:56 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM, John C. Tull <jctull at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was having some discussion on IRC today with Tim and Larry about the
> recent change to the menu in trunk. Before, the menu used "File" and that
> was changed to "Project". My position is that it does not seem Mac-like,
> whether or not a QGIS document resides in the filesystem as a .qgs file or
> if your "Project" is fed from a database, something apparently planned for
> the future of QGIS.
>
> I'd be interested in feedback from other Mac users on this. I'm flexible
> to the change, but wanted to vet this and see if anyone else had a strong
> opinion one way or the other. Please make it clear if you are a Mac OS X
> user or not.

Thanks, John, for bringing this up for consensus.

A little of background. The change was made as a GUI setup for the future,
for use with database-based projects (which are not currently implemented),
and so it matches what a Project is, semantically.

It is definitely not Mac-like to not have the File menu, but it does not go
against Apple's HIG to rename the File menu...

 'If your app is not document-based, you can rename the File menu to
something more appropriate or eliminate it.' [0]

It does go against what normal Mac users may expect.

+1 for keeping it as Project (and for keeping Composer instead of File,
too), so we can have 2.0 docs and their screen snaps be as future-proof and
cross-platform as possible.

[0]
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/applehiguidelines/Menus/Menus.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000356-TPXREF105

Regards,