[Qgis-developer] 'File' versus 'Project'

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Apr 25 00:26:29 PDT 2013

Hi,

I agree - not a big issue to change the menu from "File" to "Project".
It also makes sense to me since all of the subentries in this menu
relate to the project - and not to files (like shape files, tiffs, etc.)

+1 for leaving the first menu entry as "Project". It also helps to
clarify for people that they are saving a project - and not their edits
in files that are open in the project.

Things in UI design change over time. Nothing is written into stone and
users have to accept that and adapt. I think that the change of the icon
set and the UI redesign are way more disruptive thant the change in the
menu. But I think they are an improvement.

Just look at your favourite applications - lets take webbrowsers - with
every version their UI changes a bit - and people do not have problems
adapting.

Or - if you are a graphic designer - compare the versions of Photoshop,
Inkscape, Gimp, etc. - all of them change their UI over time - and yet
the users manage to do their jobs - and usually they can do their jobs
better with each version.

Andreas