[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Caching remote postgis layers?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Aug 5 18:20:39 PDT 2013

Hi Willem,

Why can you not save such a layer or a selection from such a layer, as a local shapefile (or other supported format). is this not effectively a "local cache"? Delete/overwrite when you desire.

Where is the performance bottleneck? Postgis, network, QGIS?  Just creating a local cache will not necessarily speed things up, if your database is on a fast server with a fast network, it may even get slower.

Sourcepole have developed (for NIWA, New Zealand) a plugin that supports local caching of WMS & WFS data sources. This could probably be adapted to support other input formats. Marco Hugentobler did the coding for this - he can perhaps comment?

As Nathan says, caching a local snapshot of a dynamic, multi-user database will result in something that gets out of sybc with the source pretty quickly. Caching a local copy of a largely static database is relatively safe.

Cheers

Brent