[Qgis-developer] Renaming SEXTANTE

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 00:32:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Marco Hugentobler <
marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:

> Plugins are a sophisticated way of keeping things lean and separated.

I have no issue with none core plugins, in fact that is something I always
promote as a powerful feature. Core however plugins are a different story.
While it makes sense to you and I it doesn't make sense to a normal user.
Core plugins, while a feature, in fact make the program look incomplete or
patchy.  Some of the main problems with core plugins are: they don't have a
Python C++ API, functions in them are separated by wall, users have to
enable them in order to use them.

Lets take a few examples:  A question the other day on IRC was "can I
create a heatmap with pyqgis" No is the answer which is confusing because
the heatmap plugin is a core feature so why not have it as part of the API?
 The topology checker is another example of the features it has should be
part of the core package and just baked in. This would allow tighter
integration into the drawing tools and other core features. Can you imagine
if snapping was a core plugin? or the composer?

I do see the core plugin idea useful as a staging area for things we are
not sure fully about just yet or still have issues.