[Qgis-developer] Labeling issues

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Aug 21 06:33:14 PDT 2013

Hi,

An update on this. Designing an appropriate test suite for labeling turned
out to be much more involved than anticipated (go figure). I have the base
suite set up but need help from other test server administrators before the
output from the QGIS Server tests can have a good crosscheck of output. In
the meantime, I'll do what I can to fix/test issue #8068 using local
virtual machines for Win7 and Ubuntu, in addition to my Mac. I still have
to make the unit test class for Composer output.

Once completed, the labeling test suite will work like so:

* Individual label variation tests are added to
test_qgspallabeling_tests.py. Those are inherited by each of the labeling
output test case classes (canvas, composer and server, etc.). This means
for each individual test added there will be 9 new tests run by the suite
(see next). This is critical for testing that labels look the same
regardless of output (that's the goal, anyways).

* Each of the output test case classes compares against a control image,
with the composer and server outputs also crosschecked against the canvas
output control images. The composer classes will compare all three variants
of output: image, PDF, SVG. Since the latter two will need to be
subsequently rasterized, running the full test suite may take awhile.

* Anomalies for tests will be collected and added where appropriate. There
is the possibility that control images may need to be saved per each of the
3 major platforms, given the variations on text rendering, to realistically
approach a higher percentage of valid tests. However, I would like to avoid
such platform-specific control images, if possible.

I initially expect *many* failed individual tests (> 75%). Any
help/comments on test suite design is appreciated and welcome. Again, the
suite will initially be to verify that fixes for 2.0 blocking issues are
good to go, then more tests will be added.

Regards,

Larry