[Qgis-developer] Splash screen for 2.0

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Sat Aug 31 06:04:50 PDT 2013

Hi Matthias,

Thank your four raising these points.

Am 31.08.2013, 13:04 Uhr, schrieb Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>:
> However, I'm still not really convinced of using a background of a
> modern (admittedly visually appealing) map service which has no
> relation to and is by no means produced with the help of QGIS.

I understand your concern but I'm not sure how big an issue it would be.
In my opinion, the design is very artistic and clearly not a result which
could be achieved directly in a QGIS but which requires serious
cartographic skill.

As a reference, here is the design with the old black-and-white map
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48244569@N02/9637382664/

> I was looking for other
> images, which are not maps, but nevertheless artistic work with spatial
> nature and cannot be mistaken (at least I believe so) to be a result of
> QGIS.
> So here some pictures I found

Sorry, but none of those are an option in my opinion. I think they look
very dull and I would not like to look at them every day. On the technical
side, they are of very low resolution and some blurry. I would like to see
the splash screen design reflected on the new website as well, so the
material should work at different resolutions.

I'm open to try different background maps of the agreed region but they
should be available in a reasonable resolution.

Best wishes,
Anita