[Qgis-developer] min/max for rasters

aperi2007 aperi2007 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 22:57:00 PST 2013

AFAIK

The strategy of 2-98 is usually useful when there a "noised image",
because we assume that the noise is a white noise and it
is randomized an isolated spikes.

THis is absolutely a right theory and really useful,
ma what kind of imagge are usually used in a gis system.

If we think at the ortophoto image the noise could be really happened
because they came from a photo-sensor.

But is we think to a artificial image, like the 2-colors balck-white
images named "carta tecnica" thata are trasposition of vectorial data.
Them are no noised images and has a really thin lines. Also the
artifical thematic chars with colors and point and symbols and lines
(outline and so on) are noise-less images.
Don't forget to think also to geological charts. Are all noise-less images.

So what kind of image are more used in a GIS system ?

This is not simple question.
The response is , "it is dependent by the kind of work you should do.".

But also another question is:
Usually the ortophoto are not simple to have . They are produced and
have a license.
The thematic images are more easy to produce and are often without a
license or has a free license.

More often the ortophoto images are available from a WMS system, and
this is a solution that deny the use of the 2-98 strategy.

Andrea.