[Qgis-developer] [QGIS-Server] Adding Web Processing Service, partially funded

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Fri Dec 20 03:28:34 PST 2013

Hello,

Le vendredi 20 décembre 2013 09:06:06, Pirmin Kalberer a écrit :
[..]
> > > The final goal is to execute QGIS-Processing Server-side.
> > >
> > > The first step was to run QGIS-Processing headless. I made a pull
> > > request which needs review and test.
> > > https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1031
>
> Really great news!

Other question : do you rely on qgis.core only then for QGIS processing now ?

> > > Next steps: developing the WPS interface and executing algorithms
> > > server side.
> >
> > Are you going to reuse the excellent PyWPS framework, or build a specific
> > one ?
>
> A simple but powerful solution would be to implement an export to PyWPS
> Python code similar to the existing Python export.

+1 for that, simple, flexible and powerful. And Unix spirit too :-)
If we want tighter integration, it is a matter of packaging PyWPS with QGIS.
Or implement a way of sending bundled WPS scripts from QGIS to a PyWPS server.

As for performances, I think having python for serving WPS is not damaging,
since the performances issues are more related to the algorithms
implementation than the WPS server itself.

Vincent