[Qgis-developer] OSM address search

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Dec 31 02:48:57 PST 2013

Hi

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Hi all.
> Following the interesting article by Anita:
>
> http://anitagraser.com/2013/12/29/address-finders-in-qgis-osm-place-search-vs-osmsearch/
> I would like to ask the authors, Piotr Pociask and Xavier Culos, if they
> would like to merge forces, reduce duplication, and publish an unified
> OSM address search plugin, possibly also involving the authors of
> similar plugins, e.g.
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/GeoCoding/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/ru_geocoder/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/geopunt4Qgis/
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/pdokbaggeocoder/
> If successful, such a plugin could be included in the standard QGIS
> package, with great advantages.
> All the best, and thanks.

If we are going to integrate this into core, I would like to see this
functionality form part of a new search toolbar that does spatial search on
the web and displays the results on the canvas. The implementation should
be generic enough that we can add other data sources. We could add a
twitter search and other types of services too. I'm imagining something
like in firefox where you choose the search engine in the search box and
then enter your search criteria - except in our case the results are shown
as features on a map. When you click on a feature it could show in an
embedded webkit widget the result details (tweet, osm details etc).

Regards

Tim

> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net