[Qgis-developer] The future of OpenStreetMap plugin

jr.morreale at enoreth.net jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Fri Feb 1 00:11:50 PST 2013

Hi Martin,

Good to see this plugin is getting some love !

Le 2013-02-01 01:26, Martin Dobias a écrit :
> 2. instead of having a special provider, we could reuse an existing
> provider for viewing OSM layers - SpatiaLite seems to be the most
> viable candidate. Once data is imported from XML into a database, it
> should be possible to create one or more views (SpatiaLite tables) of
> the database (e.g. all polygons or linestrings with "highway" tag)

Did you had a look to the OGR driver made by Even Rouault ? The use of
PBF is possible (wayyyy smaller and faster to import) and the
performance are quite good when working on a big osm dataset.

> And frankly, is there anyone using QGIS OSM plugin for editing?

Yes, it's mainly used to convert the data from/to mif, tab or shp. The
low speed is the biggest problem. Josm is powerfull but I would not
advice it to a normal gis user as I would not for emacs, potlalch is
limited to online editing.