[Qgis-developer] The future of OpenStreetMap plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:04:52 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 01 février 2013 22:42:36, Martin Dobias a écrit :
>
> Right, the low level concepts of OSM model are not exposed through the OGR
> API, because it doesn't have support for topology.
>
> However you could "import" ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/osm_parser.h,
> ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/osm_parser.cpp and ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/gpb.h in QGIS in
> order to benefit from a parser that does the parsing of OSM XML and PBF in a
> transparent way from the user point of view. If you pursue that route, I'd
> suggest that you rename (or #define) the public symbols of
> ogr/ogrsf_frmts/osm/osm_parser.h so that they don't conflict with the ones of
> OGR (in case there are later changes in OGR for example)

Hi Even

thanks for your hints. At first I was a bit surprised that OGR
implements PBF reading without protoc compiler - I guess that's just
to avoid dependency on protobuf library, right? The small size and
high reading speed of PBF look quite promising, so maybe later I will
look at import from PBF.

Martin