[Qgis-developer] Dual View: Call for feedback

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Feb 3 06:02:17 PST 2013

Hi

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Régis Haubourg
<regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:
> Hi Matthias, I can't test your branch by myself (I don't have time to compile
> it ), please consider many testers will give you feedback once this will be
> merged in master branch and osgeo binarys.
>
> All this sounds very good to me, especially preparing relations 1 to many.
>
> I have some questions about global QGIS governing and 2.0 feature freeze
> roadmap.
>
> Before recent API break, joins really needed work to make them rock stable.
> It still seemed experimental when using it a lot, and it is a critical
> feature for basic cartography.  Users often give me feedback on quite hard
> to reproduce-bugs (not systematic, dependant of providers also..):
>  - joined table seems to be not used by graduated/category analyses
>  - advanced rotation and proportion field neither..
>  - attribute table shows NULL or ERROR values..
>  - graduated classification process seems to lose correct min max bounds for
> classification process..
>  - an maybe more (I did create ticket, but recent API break.. broke it all..
> )
>
> So, as Paolo said recently, users really need a stable release in 2013, and
> as we keep on adding features, and modifying API in the same time, this make
> me anxious on future releases we rely on. We already fund bug fixing in 1.9
> , I hope I will have a release that won't break those, and that won't add
> mor bugs than we corrected previously. I voted For API merge without a 1.9
> release with warnings on the fact that we needed to keep big new features
> for 2.1.
>
> I would like that PSC crew gives a clear roadmap of feature freeze for 2.0,
> so that we can put $$ to consolidate release candidates during spring. I'm
> just asking if dual feature and 1-n relation for 2.0 or 2.1? 2.0 is OK, but
> we need to clarify a 2013 roadmap (I need it as I rely on it for 300 users..

At the moment we are in 'standby mode' while all the side effects of
the vector provider branch are dealt with. As soon as Martin and
Juergen (who seem to be doing all the heavy lifting in this) give me
the green light that everything is 'new api' ready, I will lay out the
time table for the release.

I appreciate your desire to get 2.0 our (we all want it out sooner
rather than later), but at the same time it is a major release and it
is going to take longer to get out into the wild than a normal
release. With regards to new features coming in to the master branch,
if the features are stable and useful I think we should not discourage
people from introducing them (but accompanying unit tests would be
great!).

Regards

Tim

> )
>
> If next stable release comes by the end of 2013, it will be very long for
> those who already switched from proprietary worl to QGIS and still waits for
> all improvements made in 1.9. And I will have trouble against people that
> don't like OSS in my corp (yes they exist).
>
> I'm always ok to fund things and participate, but sub contracting process
> prevents me to react quickly (3 months is good).. So I feel a bit incapable
> to help when all goes fast out of written roadmap..
> My 2 cents
> Régis

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services