[Qgis-developer] QGis Mobility

Janneke van Dijk janneke.qgis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 02:52:51 PST 2013

Dear Nathan and Marco,

For a client I'm looking at the options for collecting data on a Samsung
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android), for later use in Qgis. I'm new to mobile
devices (other than gpses...) but comfortable with Qgis. What they would
like is a survey form that lets you:
1. take a picture at the location
2. capture the coordinates
3. enter some additional observations
It should be suitable for use by people with NO computer experience apart
from using a simple mobile phone (Tanzanian farmers).

I got the impression that Natan's Qmap should be able to do this, but is
not yet available for Android, am I correct? And that this depends on when
Marco gets Python to work with Android? When could a working version that
can do what my client needs to do be expected? (To speak with the
Tanzanians 'any time from now'?)

If it would help/speed up things by having the client contribute, what kind
of contribution would they be looking at? They might have some budget, but
I have no idea how much.

I'm willing to help test intermediate and more final versions myself and in
the field.

If this is not going to be available in the near future, does anyone have
alternatives (apart from entering the data manually in qgis later)?

Thanks,
Janneke

>>> Switzerland