[Qgis-developer] Composer item's IDs

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Mon Feb 18 23:56:47 PST 2013

 >Thinking about this. There really isn't a reason to force item
names/id to be unqiue . if I want to have three items named the same
then that is really my choice.  If I have say three map windows that I
 >want to set all to the same extents then I could just call them all
"maps" and just loop over all the items with that name.

There is use for both unique names (or auto-incrementing numbers) and
user-defined names. And both cases are already used:

- auto-incrementing number in QgsComposerMap::mId. Needs to be unique
within the composition because other elements may refer to it
(north-arrow items or overview maps)
- user-defined names: QgsComposerItem::mId (unfortunately with the same
attribute name as the composer map int id).

Regards,
Marco

On 19.02.2013 01:04, Nathan Woodrow wrote:

> Thinking about this. There really isn't a reason to force item
> names/id to be unqiue . if I want to have three items named the same
> then that is really my choice.  If I have say three map windows that I
> want to set all to the same extents then I could just call them all
> "maps" and just loop over all the items with that name.
>
> - sent from a tablet device that isn't an iPad
>
> On 19 Feb 2013 10:54, "Nathan Woodrow" <madmanwoo at gmail.com
> <mailto:madmanwoo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Personally I'm not a fan of using a uuid unless the user doesn't
>     need to enter them.
>
>     For me a composer item only needs a id or name not both.  You can
>     just store a counter on the composer the item belongs to as only
>     has to be unique for that composer. I would just auto name them
>     "composeritem_n" and have the composer assign the name/id when the
>     item is added to the composer. If the user wants to change it
>     later he can.
>
>     - sent from a tablet device that isn't an iPad
>
>     On 19 Feb 2013 10:38, "Olivier Dalang" <olivier.dalang at gmail.com
>     <mailto:olivier.dalang at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         OK I've got something which seems to work well using QUuid.
>         It's easier with QUuid than an incremental id since there's no
>         need to
>         store the last key.
>
>         It already works more or less, I'll make a pull request soon.
>
>         What do you think about the other attribute ? (which would be
>         called
>         smthg like "Internal name", and would replace current id's
>         behavior)
>         I'm not sure this is useful though. Maybe it will only be
>         confusing to
>         the user...
>
>         Should I add this attribute or not ?
>

>         2013/2/18 Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com
>         <mailto:madmanwoo at gmail.com>>:
>         > Olivier,
>         >
>         > I added the item id for that reason. Feel free to rework
>         then so they
>         > are auto generated and unique. That was my intention just
>         never got
>         > around to it.
>         >
>         > - Nathan
>         >
>         > Sent from some fancy phone looking thingo

Dr. Marco Hugentobler