[Qgis-developer] Download stats

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 22 16:38:15 PST 2013

Well so it's not 100% true that we don't know about the Ubuntu install
base at all. I have written a script to scrape the data from Launchpad.
Tim has a copy of this (It's actually publicly available). We also have
a good idea from the logs on our own server how many people pull debs
from qgis.org

The only people that leaves out is those who use the stock version that
ships with a distro. So it's not perfect but I bet you can get a rough
minimum guess at the number of Ubuntu/Debian users. Based on the mailing
lists and IRC I actually think Linux is a significant portion of our
user base.

I also think the logs of how many unique IPs trigger a fetch of
available python plugins is reasonable number too, those requests may or
may not (but could be modified) have a different agent get logged.
That may be the fastest, unintrusive solution.

Thanks,
Alex

PS: I'll go dig up and run the script to see what the numbers say.