[Qgis-developer] Shipping SAGA with QGIS

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:32:45 PST 2013

> Is saga a requirement for sextante or optional?

SAGA is optional, but adding it makes a huge difference, so somehow,
you can say it is not so optional if you want to do serious work with
SEXTANTE.

> Does sextante use only the Python interface to Saga, or does it also run Saga command line tools and/or Saga GUI tools?

SEXTANTE does not use the Python interface. It only calls SAGA on the
command line. GUI tools are not used at all, and there would be no
need to include them.

> The Problem: Saga needs wxWidgets.  QGIS runs 64bit on OS X.  To get a 64bit wxWidgets on OS X you need to use the Cocoa APIs.  Support for this is only in wx 2.9 (in development, but mostly complete).  The latest stable Saga, 2.0.8, does not support wx 2.9.  The dev Saga sources (2.1) support wx 2.9, but it's only a beta at this time (I need to figure out the autotools stuff to generate configure to be able to try it).

The GUI tools are not needed, so, if the command line tool does not
use wxWidgets, that wouldn't be a problem. But I think it might use
some non-GUI classes from wxWidgets, we should check it

Cheers
Victor