[Qgis-developer] Shipping SAGA with QGIS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Feb 24 19:36:52 PST 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:13 PM, John Tull wrote:

>> I looked at it today.  They have a good wiki page on compiling for OS X, and I got it compiled with minor tweaks.  Now that I understand how Saga is used in Sextante, and how Saga in installed, I think Saga could be bundled with QGIS.  The saga_cmd would be in the app package bin/ where it would be found automatically by QGIS, and the libraries in lib/.
>>
>> If saga_cmd loads command libraries by relative path (ie ../lib/saga, as they are installed), this would work simply without any environment settings.
>>
>> But if saga loads them by absolute path (ie the configured --prefix), and there is no env setting to set a different path, this would be bad since it would lock down the whole QGIS app to the build path (a Mac app should work if the user moves or renames it, though it is kindof discouraged since it confuses installers).  I could try an easy test outside of sextante/qgis by renaming my saga install folder and trying to run a simple command.
>
> Does it look like something worth creating as a framework? Having the
> commandline saga might be useful for some if it is not nontrivial.

Well, the OS X build wiki page says you can package it as an app, which makes sense, though it's not part of the standard make install.  The saga_gui program is what gets launched in that case.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war