[Qgis-developer] Better options dialogs

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sun Jan 13 23:31:17 PST 2013

Hi

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for top-posting. I switched the main Options dialog over to
>> vertical tabs. Couple of features:
>>
>> * Long labels should wrap, but may not look great at 3 lines. Seems to
>> be a bit of an issue when using a custom font, where the wrapping
>> doesn't work quite the same as with the Qt default font.
>>
>> * The splitter state is saved, so once a user gets the tabs the way
>> they like, it should stay like that
>>
>> * There is an icon-only mode when the splitter is moved all the way to
>> the left. The vertical scrollbar is then always shown, hiding the
>> beginning of the tab's text. Please let me know if it doesn't end up
>> looking like [0] on your platform.
>>
>> Note: I did not clean up the settings yet, just added the vertical tabs.
>

> So it's been about a week, does anyone have issues/comments/suggestions with
> how the new vertical tabs are working in the Options dialog? If not, I'll go
> forward with changing the following to vertical tabs as well:

I like the changes - it would be nice to be a little less generous
with the horizontal space given to the left panel (on my ubuntu system
there is quite a lot of 'dead' white space between the item labels and
the splitter bar).

I was toying wiht app font size - if we set it to 9pt by default, the
settings panels all work a lot better for me under gnome shell 3.6.

> * Project options
> * Vector and Raster layer properties

+1 from me!

Regards

Tim

> Note: icon-only mode should now only show the vertical scrollbar when
> needed, auto-resizing the splitter to accommodate it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry
>

>> Currently, the dialog is a little slow to open. This is due (I
>> believe) to the custom font combobox population, and the new
>> QProcess::systemEnvironment() call to populate the current environment
>> variables table. I'll work on fixing those.
>>
>> [0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/options-dialog_icon-only.png
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Larry
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Matthias and Nathan,
>> >
>> > I was just about to bring this topic back up myself. :^) Yes, I can
>> > work on this next (probably this weekend). I'll start with the main
>> > app options dialog, cause it's the simplest.
>> >
>> > Option dialog candidates to switch to vertical tabs (for
>> > useability/consistency):
>> > * App options
>> > * Project options
>> > * Vector and Raster layer properties
>> >

>> > Matthias, do you think the new diagram options setup can be moved to
>> > horizontal tabs, instead of a toolbox, once there are vertical tabs
>> > for the vector dialog?
>> >

>> > Nathan,
>> >
>> > Remember that little custom toolbutton widget we chatted about for
>> > data defined option overrides? (to the right of labeling options in
>> > redesign [0]) I think you mentioned some kind of abstracted data
>> > binding class that widgets like that could use or inherit. Such a
>> > class, that worked with the new vector API, would be very handy and
>> > greatly help with the labeling dialog redesign (and elsewhere). Do you
>> > have some time to work on that?
>> >
>> > See http://irclogs.geoapt.com/qgis/%23qgis.2012-11-26.log starting at
>> > (14:44:28)
>> >
>> > [0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/labeling-redesign.png