[Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.8 Windows Standalone is not OK with spatialite versions (ECW tangent)

Ted tiruchirapalli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 23:23:03 PST 2013

just minor correction in your letter, Chris is "Product" manager for ECW

Just as I note, they have Read Only version of the SDK and also have few
other editions;

ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK is offered as four different editions:

   - *ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Server Read-Write* provides tools to enable server
   applications to read ECW, ECWP, and JPEG2000 data, serve ECW and JPEG2000
   data, and compress images into the ECW and JPEG2000 data formats.
   - *ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Server Read-Only* provides tools to enable end-user
   server applications to read ECW, ECWP and JPEG2000 data and serve ECW and
   JPEG2000 data via third-party server applications. For ESRI ArcGIS Server
   customers, please refer to ECW for ArcGIS
Server<http://geospatial.intergraph.com/products/other/ecw/ECW_for_ArcGIS_Server/Details.aspx>
   .
   - *ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Desktop Read-Write* provides tools to enable
   desktop applications to read ECW, ECWP and JPEG2000 and compress images
   into ECW and JPEG2000 data formats.
   - *ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Desktop Read-Only* is a free product that provides
   tools to enable desktop applications to read ECW, ECWP and JPEG2000.

Since this is a major shift from the 3.3 SDK which allowed WRITE function
upto 500MB, we could use without much of a problem. After hexagon, there
has been lot of changes and also the licensing of SDK.

At the moment, for GDAL and well and general QGIS user, what we are looking
at is, DESKTOP READ ONLY SDK where by users could use ECW files in QGIS.

So, we need to be very specif about this.

They will never allow GDAL or anyone else to use the library for ECW
Serving function, without $$$$$. So, dont even bother to ask.

So, with GDAL, we should make a point to mark ECW as Read only format.

Thanks

Ted