[Qgis-developer] Cast your vote: Default icon theme for QGIS 2.0

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Wed Jan 23 23:43:47 PST 2013

Hi,

On 01/24/2013 08:18 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> [...]
>> existing, icons and graphics, without mucking about in the actual QGIS
>> source repository. This allows commit access to be specifically granted to
>> designers, etc. without granting access to the source code repo. This could
>> be similar to the one at osgeo.org [0], but specific to QGIS. It should
>>
>> This allows pull requests, like from olivierdalang [1], to also include the
>> base working documents (SVG) in a separate pull request to the graphics
>> repo, for use in future icon compositions, without having to store the
>> graphics source files in the source code repository (which could increase
>> download size significantly). IMO, the only graphics files in the source
>> code repo should be those that get installed with 'make install'.
>>
>> 2) Condense current icons/pixmaps used in QGIS from all themes into just the
>> default theme, with preference to vote-preferred GIS theme. Move the
>> discarded icons and themes to the graphics repo, for later reference.
>>
>> 3) Copy any relevant SVG/pixmap sources from OSGeo repo [0] and Robert
>> Szczepanek's source icon work (that may not be in current source code repo)
>> [2] to new qgis-graphics repository.
>>
>> 4) Try to convert ALL new default theme icons to SVG, which may mean
>> recreating many as vector art since the embedded-raster-in-SVG method
>> doesn't seem to work well now (causes ugly upscaling) [3]. It should be
>> possible to fix that issue in code, allowing for use of pixmaps-inside-SVG,
>> until they are converted to vector-based SVGs.
>>
>> 5) Clean up source code to work with only .svg icon files. But, do not
>> remove any code for theme choice, so that designers can still work on new
>> themes without having to replace the existing default one.
>>
>> Considerations:
>>
>> * Maybe look into some funding for someone, like Robert, to work on 1) thru
>> 4).
>>
>> * It is also a good project for asking help from non-coding users who may
>> want to get involved as contributors. This would be after 1).
>>
>> [0] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/graphics
>> [1] https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pull/398/files
>> [2] http://robert.szczepanek.pl/icons.php
>> [3]
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/SVG-Icons-instead-of-PNGs-td4991647.html
>> [4]
>> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Cast-your-vote-Default-icon-theme-for-QGIS-2-0-td4987107.html
>>
>> See also: http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Icons_20
>>
> +1 from me on all these points too. To be clear, you are suggesting to
> ship with only one theme, but leave theme support in place?
>
> It would be nice to have a little script in the repo that creates a
> thumbnail gallery of all the icons.
>
> Also it might be nice to clean up the names a little - perhaps come up
> with a  NounVerb.svg approach e.g. VectorEdit.svg VectorStopEdit.svg
> so that non programmers can make sense of our naming scheme (yes I
> know the current scheme is mainly my doing :-P).

+1 as well.

Concerning the naming scheme, OSGeo Graphics [1] state on their page
that they follow the freedesktop standard [2]. Wouldn't it be nice to
keep these things in line?
This would be hyphens instead of CamelCase but it looks like noun-verb
as well ( Things like document-save etc., your examples: vector-edit.svg
and vector-stop-edit.svg).

Regards,
Matthias

[1]: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Graphics