[Qgis-developer] Routing in QGIS

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 02:30:04 PST 2013

2013/1/29 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>

> Hi all.
> Testing http://project-osrm.org/, performances and functionality are
> amazing. Anybody interested in writing a plugin to make these
> functionality available from within QGIS? Support could be seeked.
> All the best.

Hi Paolo,

I've been recently working on OSRM and it's indeed the fastest routing
machine I've ever seen!! Server side, it requires large amount of RAM ans
CPU (depending mainly on how large is the area to be served, and of course
on the rate of incoming requests) and unfortunately doesn't take altitude
into account (which makes it much less useful for foot and bicycle
profiles).

I'm interested in developing such a plugin, it should support different
OSRM servers (with different profiles) and save both routes and directions
 (points) at the desired details (zoom) levels.
Since it opens a lot of new possibilities, it would be wise to plan a sort
of small API to the service, so that we can eventually add more
functionalities in the future.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it