[Qgis-developer] wiki cleanup

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Jan 29 09:58:48 PST 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Hi all.
> Preparing for the migration to the new website, I'm cleaning up the old
> wiki. Please anyone who added content there have a look to:
> http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Page_index
> and remove the obsolete pages (there are many of them). If there is
> useful info, please move it to the manual, the new website, or somewhere
> else.
> Where should we move the hackfest, meeting, release announcements,
> changelogs, and release checklist and specs, that compose most of the
> wiki pages?

I realize you are trying to clean things up (thank you), but IMO some
collaborative writing space is important.

Notice that the 'Where should we move...' items are essentially
developer-oriented, though may be of interest to the general community.
Github.com has a public wiki feature, which can be set up to limit editing
to only collaborators (if needed). It seems a reasonable place for temporal
pages that need not be on the main web site, and doesn't require editors to
muck about in the new web site code.

Github.com's wiki is based off of gollum [0], which (I believe) allows rST
as one of its supported formats. It is also built on top of git, so
developers can clone its repo to do local editing.

Although, if redmine is to be kept for the issue tracker, is there anything
wrong with just keeping the old wiki, but with limited content and editors?

[0] https://github.com/github/gollum

Larry