[Qgis-developer] The future of OpenStreetMap plugin

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Jan 31 23:46:36 PST 2013

Il 01/02/2013 01:26, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
> I have a working proof of concept (<1K lines of code) and it looks
> good - it's fairly simple and fast. For example, import of Essex
> county data (2135K nodes, 203K ways, XML size 420MB), including
> creation of SpatiaLite layers took less than 3 minutes, the subsequent
> map viewing was as fast as any other SpatiaLite data. There's just one
> catch (there always is, right?) - it does not support editing and I am
> not even considering adding it myself. OSM editor would be a big
> project and it would take ages to get at least close to the editing
> experience of specialized editors such as Potlatch or JOSM. And
> frankly, is there anyone using QGIS OSM plugin for editing?
>
> What are your thoughts and wishes on QGIS - OpenStreetMap integration?

Hi Martin,
thanks for raising the issue - I have been thinking about it for months,
and I share your views. While removing nice functionalities is always a
pity, I think we have a serious case here. I understand we currently do
not have the forces for a major upgrade of it. What we should not miss,
IMHO, is the download capability, the rest has probably littlo or no use.
So, in short, please go ahead, and remove the OSM stuff as soon as your
downloading code is fully working.
Thanks again.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia