[Qgis-developer] Synergy of QGIS Enterprise and QGIS 2.0/Master branch

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Mon Jul 1 03:20:04 PDT 2013

Hi all,

There were some discussions about the relation of the recently announced QGIS
Enterprise [1] and the upcoming QGIS 2.0 release.
QGIS Enterprise was born out of the needs of our customers for a stable QGIS
branch with frequent bug fix releases similar to the Ubuntu LTS model. Almost
all of the professional QGIS users we know, have many custom plugins in use.
Some of these plugins are applications with 10'000's lines of code! So API
compatibility has absolutly hightest priority for them.
That's the reason we branched 1.9 before the API break to give our customers
most of the features of 2.0 but let them more time to migrate their plugins to
the new API.
We fixed many major bugs reported by our customers and applied them also to
QGIS master [3]. The QGIS projects benefits from this model directly, since it
finances at least Marco working 100% on QGIS core development. And there are
not only bug fixes flowing back into QGIS master, but also major performance
improvements [2],[4].
We hope very much that we can carry on this synergy for the coming years and
look forward to see you in Maptember to work together on QGIS 2.1!

Regards
Pirmin

[1] http://qgisenterprise.com/
[2] http://sourcepole.ch/2013/6/17/fossgis-2013-performance-optimised-wms-
services-with-qgis-server
[3] QGIS Enterprise bugfixes ported to 2.0
- Fix ticket #5584 (crash saving empty geometry) 96a8bd64
- Always use topological editing if using avoid intersection (where
  possible also to background layers) dc074b39
- Better approach to split lines. Fixes bug #4618 c90870d0
- Clear rubberband if map tool is deactivated b5a5264c
- Fix double redraw after applying vector properties 89bdb10e
- Fix check state for legend groups restored from project file 31d7f651
- Format number strings with field precision for display
  in attribute table, attribute dialog and editor 6361d19f
- Fix activation of paste action after cut/copy e2c80d35
- Keep zoom level constant if zooming to one selected point 15e3fc35
- Fix WFS layer items in browser 5d7ac888
- Protect point and line pattern symbol layer from eating too much
  memory b54c75ce
- Keep selection if exchanging ids for added features, safety check for 0
  geometry in splitFeatures method 4c02d7ff
- Prevent overshoots with line offsets fac2bd78
- Handle plain/regexp mode for delimited text provider same as for preview
  a4d83139
- Filter string in qgis server: Allow strings and attribute names with
bfde7c83
- Radio button groups in composer label widget, consider label alignment
  in adjustSizeToText 12f09471
- Mark project dirty in case of composer changes da0e4f34
- Clear cached geometries after commit / rollback 6bbc149d
- Fix placement of simple markers in cached images 7e793025

[4] WMS server performance:
- Improve performance for coordinate reprojection 863da7d0
- Loop optimisation GDAL provider f424e2aa
- Improve png8 conversion and a18ae684
- Implement readBlock in gdal provider for performance reason 750579215
- Performance optimisation in raster provider daa02e3e
- Use 'fast clip' line clipping algorithm for long lines. Huge improvement
  for wms benchmark performance (long contour lines) d4f69b37
- Use coordinate transform cache in maprenderer e0d9796f
- Create pallabeling only once, take crs from cache ea4e77af
- Use CRS cache and avoid sqlite lookup for each request 8dc0135b
- Use CRS cache for faster lookup of crs by authid 15b4843c

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions