[Qgis-developer] SRS DB maintenance

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 03:27:13 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
>> While the relation between CRS and transformation in EPSG database is
>> (naturally) one-to-many, QGIS oversimplified the relation to
>> one-to-one
>
>> We should probably
>> separate CRS from towgs84 and allow users to choose from multiple
>> towgs84 for CRS.
>
> We have a similar problem here with multiple transformations between two
> coordinate systems (ntv2 based transformation more accurate in that case).
> So I was also thinking about enhancing the coordinate transformation class
> to store transformations in a table (import from epsg transformation info)
> and let the user select the transformation in case several exist.

Where do you want to let user select the transformation? In my opinion
it should be possible everywhere where CRS may be selected (including
OWS dialogs). That means not to have one global transformation set for
user or project because it may happen that it is necessary to work
with data with different transformations in a single project.

> QgsCoordinateTransform would then adjust the proj-strings of source and dest
> CRS on the fly.

Is it possible to do it without API break?

Radim