[Qgis-developer] Splash screen for 2.0

Marco Bernasocchi marco at bernawebdesign.ch
Fri Jul 12 06:04:26 PDT 2013

hi I remember a discussion we had with tim last month in South Africa. I
Suggested that. he thought was too hard in english.
I then suggested "Dufour".  beside being a very influencial swiss
cartographer [1] it is also the highest mountain in switzerland.

i think it would be very representative for the whole swiss community.

ciao

[1] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dufour_Map

Marco Bernasocchi (mobile)
http://opengis.ch
 >To avoid trademark etc issues I would prefer we use a little know place -
also one that non german speakers have a vague hope of being able to
pronounce.

What about 'Hönggerberg' (the place where the developer meeting took place)
?

Regards,
Marco

On 12.07.2013 14:42, Tim Sutton wrote:

Hi All

 If you are a daily blocker list [1] watcher you will have noticed that
Juergen Fischer (aka our resident coding machine) has been whittling the
list down  - 31 issues left as I write this.

 Juergen has been funded for two weeks - one week each from the Swiss QGIS
Users Group and QGIS.org's fund). If you have been contemplating sponsoring
QGIS, there is never a better time to do it as we use the money to fund
activities such as these which are a huge step in helping us to produce
good quality releases.

 Based on his progress I expect we should be ready to release before
FOSS4G2013 (yay!). We need to decide on two things:

 * A name for the release
* A map for the splash screen

 These should be in a similar vein to the splash and name for QGIS 1.8
'Lisboa'. Since the next Hackfest after Lisbon was Zurich I am proposing
that we name this release after an interesting place in Zurich. To avoid
trademark etc issues I would prefer we use a little know place - also one
that non german speakers have a vague hope of being able to pronounce. As
such could I ask our hosts from Zurich to proffer a suitable name and a
nice old map that we can use for the splash screen?

 Many thanks

 Tim

 [1] http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/issues?query_id=23

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net