[Qgis-developer] Python support for both 1.8 and 1.9 in Linux

Alejandro Aguilar Sierra algsierra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 10:59:04 PDT 2013

Hello:

I recently updated my GNU/Linux system and now qgis lost support for python:

Couldn't load PyQGIS.
Python support will be disabled.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 1, in
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v10.0 but the qgis.core
module requires API v8.1

I tried 1.9 and it simply say that python is unsupported without
giving an error message or any reason (besides it uses less intuitive
icons very similar among them and not organized so the toolbar becomes
over cluttered, I hope this will not remain in the beta version).

I'm not sure how important is it the change among SIP versions.
Wouldn't it easier to make qgis.core less picky about versions?

Some plugins are very practical, in fact should be included in the
official version, like ftools and the one to allow write the exact
coordinates for a node (not everyone has a precise artistic hand).

Thanks in advance.

-- A.