[Qgis-developer] Labels on topologically wrong polygons

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Jul 24 09:21:00 PDT 2013

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Il 24/07/2013 17:55, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:
>
> >> I think QGIS should offer the option to on-the-fly try to fix those
> geometries. This
> >> was discussed previously [0], and I think the best solution presented
> so far is to
> >> find a way to incorporate the standalone PostGIS library 'lwgeom' into
> the QGIS
>
> done for now: http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/sextantelwgeomprovider/

But that just wraps the C++ library with Python doesn't? (Very nice, btw!)
That still requires a full install of PostGIS/PostgreSQL (at this time):

    def getLwgeomLibrary(self):
        # try to load the LWGEOM library
        libpath = SextanteConfig.getSetting("LWGEOM_PATH_SETTING")
        lib = ctypes.CDLL(libpath)

For labeling, I don't think we would want to introduce Python into the mix,
or require PostGIS to be installed. So, either C++ compiled-in or shared
lib support would be best (for the speed).

>> Ideally, if someone where to find a way (maybe it is simple, but not for
> me) to have
> >> the lwgeom library compile-able as a standalone library, apart from
> PostGIS, it would
>
> we are doing it now, for osgeo4w. ready on debian.

Do you have some links to any notes on how this was done using the PostGIS
source code? I'd like to make that library available for the Mac builds and
pass the notes along to others.

Regards,

Larry