[Qgis-developer] License

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Jul 25 10:25:03 PDT 2013

Le jeudi 25 juillet 2013 18:18:46, Angelos Tzotsos a écrit :
> Hi Tim,
>
> As per license disclaimer in qgis.cpp:
>
> /**************************************************************************
> * * *
> * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify *
> * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by *
> * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or *
> * (at your option) any later version. *
> * *
> /
>
> so anyone could fork the entire source tree into GPL3 without license
> problems.

It depends if the QGIS project has strong reasons to move from GPL v2 or later
to GPL v3. But, as a reminder, mixing GPL v2 only and GPL v3 is not possible
since the licences are incompatible. What should be considered is QGIS and its
whole ecosystem. Keeping with GPL v2 or later is the option that maximises
compatibility with other GPL dependencies.

> I believe that only a decision needs to be made, without asking all
> copyright holders in this case (moving to MIT or similar would require
> that)
>
> Cheers,
> Angelos
>
> On 07/25/2013 03:49 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Paolo Cavallini
<cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

Geospatial professional services