[Qgis-developer] Download stats : 558909 ?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 7 10:47:44 PDT 2013

On 06/07/2013 10:17 AM, MORREALE Jean Roc wrote:
> 558909
> Hi,
>
> I'm using these two pages to get an actual download count of qgis 1.8
> and by cumuling all the page views on the *.exe, the number is 558909.
>
> Am I doing a mistake (counting twice) or is it the real number ?
>
> regards,
> jean-roc
>

> http://www.qgis.org/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?urlfilter=/downloads/QGIS-OSGeo4W-1.8.0-.*-Setup.exe&urlfilterex=&output=urldetail&config=qgis&framename=mainright&month=all&year=2012
>

> http://www.qgis.org/cgi-bin/awstats.pl?urlfilter=/downloads/QGIS-OSGeo4W-1.8.0-.*-Setup.exe&urlfilterex=&output=urldetail&config=qgis&framename=mainright&month=all&year=2013

It's a real number, not necessarily real people (some may be bots). Also
not necessarily unique. I've read that awstats tends to overestimate up
to 10%. Its also hard to tell of those hits, how many actually
downloaded the whole file and installed.

Keep in mind that only reflects windows installs too.

I've actually been looking for research papers on how to get better
numbers out of download logs but haven't found much yet.

Thanks,
Alex