[Qgis-developer] Can we remove old labeling from the UI

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Sun Jun 9 11:55:21 PDT 2013

Hi Borys

>I need to FAST put ANY labels to see what is in polygons.

Couldn't you just use 'around center' then? Afaik the old labeling
engine also does placement just on polygon centroid.

If the label has to be inside the polygon (horizontal and free placement
mode):
The problem here is not the collision detection. It is the calculation
of cost for the candiated positions that takes most of the time. I have
an open pull request that simplifies the approach and increases speed
(https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pull/640). Still it is of course
slower than centroid placement, but the middle point of the label
position is guaranteed to be inside the polygon.

To improve  the speed of label drawing (especially with buffer), I'm
working on a label cache (characters cached as images). But that one is
too risky for 2.0 and I still need to do various bugfixes before
publishing it.

Regards,
Marco