[Qgis-developer] Plugin "category" - do we need it?

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Tue Jun 11 08:09:10 PDT 2013

Among many other plugin attributes we have quite useless "category":
vector/raster/db etc.

In QGIS 1.8 the category is displayed in the plugin manager as "The plugin is
installed in the [$CATEGORY] menu". However it's pretty confusing, because the
category attribute has *no* influence on where the plugin action is placed (and
I guess there is no simple way to implement it, as QGIS doesn't know which
plugin inserts the action and what are its attributes).

In QGIS 2.0 this is hardly used: it's just displayed in the plugin details
(and I wonder if not remove it at all). In Valmiera we agreed that tags are
much more important than category, and sorting/filtering by category doesn't
make much sense.

As today is the hard feature freeze, it would be good to decide if we want
this attribute or not. I can either:

a) leave it as it: not documented, not officialy supported, merely used in the
interface, however often used by plugin authors, possible to use in the
future.

b) remove it completely for 2.0 and possibly introduce it again in the future
if we get an idea how to use it.
*Pros*: It's better to introduce something in 2.1 than break something
existing (even if hardly used).
*Cons*: Plugin authors won't use it, so if we decide to introduce it, there
will be less plugins already equipped with this attribute.

Are there any thoughts?